Tuesday 9 August 2011

Horizontal weather

You can't miss them.
Day One: John O'Groats to Helmsdale.
A few second thoughts this morning as we built our bikes in the carpark at JOG. Already down to 12 Celsius then there's this biting North Westerly wind howling across the site. Three layers and a windproof gilet can't hide the fact that I'm wearing shorts. Colin has sensibly elected to wear tights.

I know that we'll warm up when we start riding, but first the official photos. Business is flagging says the official photographer as we get our pics taken under the signpost. I'm not surprised, global warming has done nothing for him.

At 11:00 we start riding, grateful that the wind is behind us for the first few miles into Wick, where the bargain of the day was had; 5 rashers of bacon in a Morning Roll for £1.60. I had to have two. The sun came out and we did feel warm but the wind remained in spades. Every so often a hairpin would take you back into the teeth of it, when a lorry came the other way you nearly went backwards. Even though you were going downhill.

We got to Lybster about 3pm and were lucky to find a friendly new cafe open on Main Street. I wanted to make sure we were fully re-fuelled for the infamous Berriedale Braes, a 2 mile 1 in 8 descent followed by a 2 mile 1 in 8 climb. It was tough going at first. I was thinking 'if this is my bottom gear, then I'm going to have some problems later on'.

Thankfully, when I looked down I was still in third. Clicking second it all got easier and my mood lifted considerably. 6 miles later I rode up to the Hostel to find dinner already being cooked - heaven.

Today's ride 52.1 miles, max speed 44.2 mph

No comments:

Post a Comment